Monday, September 19, 2011

Little Ballerina

She danced all around me, this little ballerina.

I attended a conference for the students of John Brown University, and the children of many of the staff and faculty came along to enjoy the perks and amenities of a large camp with horses, canoes, kayaks, and ropes courses.

And the children worshiped with the community of college students on retreat.

And she danced all around me, this little ballerina.

As we sang the truths of the psalms, the cries of our heart, the laments of heartache and the joys of grace,

she danced.

I said to her mother, "She is a lovely ballerina."

"She does that all the time.  She can't read yet, but she wants to sing along.  So, she dances."

She wants to engage, but she doesn't know how in the language everyone speaks around her.  So she dances.

I think that's what I'm doing too, little ballerina.  As I string words together to find the voice of my heart, I join you in your chorus of praise.

Dance away, little one. You inspire me.

2 comments:

Sarah Jacobson said...

And you inspire me with your word. Keep writing, amazing woman. Keep writing.

Terry said...

love, dancing, stringing words together...the same in any language!...love terry