Sunday, July 17, 2011

Words of Affirmation

This morning, Tucker and Tyler joined dozens of children on the stage at church, to lead us in the songs they learned this week at Vacation Bible School.

Tyler was nervous as anything. He really just wanted to stay with me.

(This is not typical Tyler behavior.)

Tyler leaned hard into Tuck, a real, live security blanket. I was so proud of Tucker: he stood beside Tyler, encouraged him, and even stroked his head.

I longed for a camera to capture this image of brotherly affection, even for a moment. I counted on the many around me to tuck this mental picture away and remind me that it really happened.

Tyler eventually gave into the pressure, and he came marching down the aisle to sit in my lap and watch from a safe distance. But he gave it a try.

Tucker stuck it out, singing through every song. (He did no motions, naturally.) Only once, he came off the stage once to say, "But Mommy, I'm really thirsty."

Sorry, kiddo. No drinks on stage.

(Why is it that everyone else's children seem to simply stay put on the stage while mine insist on all the coming and going?)

On the drive home, I affirmed Tucker for his excellent encouragement to his little brother.

"You were so kind to him, Tucker. He was really nervous, and you helped him to be brave. You said, 'You can do it, Tyler. You can do it.'"

"Well, I also said, 'Don't touch me. Don't touch me. Don't touch me.'"

5 comments:

Emily Kaye said...

Ahhh...spoken like only a sibling can speak. Love it!

my3boys said...

Love every single bit of this. I miss you Miss Tricia. :)

Noel said...

Bwahaha! That's awesome. So cute.

Anonymous said...

Had a good laugh from this one:)

Penny said...

Your funniest "Tucker" post so far! Typical brothers. I love it! :)