Wednesday, June 29, 2011

O-H.

"Hey, don't make me go back to Columbus on you..." says the large, buff, black man in line next to me at Starbucks.

I don't really know what that means.

And then I remember I'm wearing an Ohio State t-shirt. Ah, he's a Buckeye.

(I still don't know the proverbial reference that I would threaten him back to Columbus. But I step into the conversation with an air of nonchalance.)

"Are you a Buckeye?" I smile.

"Yes, ma'am. I just moved here from Columbus in December."

"Welcome to Denver. I'm from Ohio; my husband went to Ohio State. He was in the marching band."

(If you don't get the TBDBITL reference, don't be too quick to put a geek nametag on this community of brass. They are a force to be reckoned with. It's harder to make the marching band than it is to make the football team. Just FYI. I could go on. Robb would, I assure you. I have the stats memorized. A friend of mine aptly named us the Marching Band Power Couple.)

"Oh, no kiddin'?"

"We get so excited to see Buckeyes around here. In fact, once I went back to Columbus for a wedding, and I embarrassed myself by getting so excited to see people in scarlet and grey. I was, like, all high-fiving people and throwing my fist in the air, 'Go Bucks! Hey! O-H!' It wasn't until they barely smiled at me that I realized I was in Buckeye town. It's not so uncommon out there. I looked like quite the ridiculous enthusiast."

He smiled. Perhaps I was saying too much. It's just that it's a fun language to speak, like the Spanish I learned in high school. I don't know much, but it's a little fun to use what I know.

I tried one more comment, perhaps my last. "There's quite a few Buckeyes in this town - a society of our own."

"Yeah, we've got our own mojo goin' on in D-town," he says.

Right. Mojo. D-town. (Perhaps I don't know how to have this conversation at all. A girl can only pose for so long.)

He gave me a fist bump.

"O-H."

"I-O."

"You take care, Buckeye."

"You, too."

My husband graduated from Ohio State. He was in the marching band.

Hey, Colorado natives? I'm raising a couple o' Buckeyes.

O-H.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I-O!

Praying for you all...

Ruthie said...

I-O! :) I am an Ohio-an. I currently live in the small town of Ashland, but as soon as our house sells we'll be moving to Columbus! I want to tell you how blessed I've been by reading through your posts of recent months. I can't even tell you how I stumbled upon your blog, but I did the other week. I am so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks reading your posts, but is also so inspired by your beautiful honesty. Thank you for allowing me to journey with you. May our Lord and Savior bless you in a special way tonight.

DenverSop said...

I-O!

I hear you on the ridiculous enthusiast part. When we first moved here, we pointed out all the Ohio license plates when we saw them, and on our first trip back home, I remember exclaiming, "Look, an Ohio plate! Oh my gosh, and another one!" My mom actually had to remind me we were physically in Ohio.

It's great to be a Buckeye! Still praying for you, Tricia!

Unknown said...

I-O! :-) My hubby graduated from Ohio State too, and we love going back to C-bus to visit. :-)

Chris said...

Great post, Tricia. I was in TBDBITL with Robb - we both started and ended our band careers together. Although Robb and I were not close friends, I remember him as a kind, talented person and an all around great guy. He would be proud of how you are raising your boys.

eberris said...

I-O! From Colmbus, Ohio

Penny said...

I was always jealous of the band kids and a lot of my high school friends were the "band nerds." ;) Some went on to college on band scholarships. :) I would love to be able to play an instrument. At least I did have a daughter play the clarinet in the jr. high/high school bands. And a couple of stepdaughters played the flute in the band. Does that resolve me of my envy? ;) God bless, Tricia.

Terry said...

ha! tricia, when you were doing all that cheering for the "bucks", were you waving your diet pepsi in one hand and were you cheering and laughing and snorting at the same time.?..haha!
tricia, you may not realize it but you made that guy's day...i know...i am an older person and when a youngster gives me the time of the day and has a wee chat with me, it really cheers my heart.
tricia, robb must of so appreciated you...you are a fun loving girl..in fact, you are a riot!
god is blessing you as you take the time and treat others so kindly...love terry