Friday, January 14, 2011

Sorrow

Sorrow never entirely leaves the soul
of those who have suffered a severe loss. . . .
but this depth of sorrow is the sign of a healthy soul,
not a sick soul.
It does not have to be morbid or fatalistic.
It is not something to escape but something to embrace.
Jesus said, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."
Sorrow indicates that people who have suffered loss are living authentically
in a world of misery, and it expresses the emotional anguish
of people who feel pain for themselves or for others.
Sorrow is noble and gracious.
It enlarges the soul until the soul is capable of
mourning and rejoicing simultaneously,
of feeling the world's pain and hoping for the world's healing at the same time.
However painful, sorrow is good for the soul.

~ Jerry Sittser, A Grace Disguised

6 comments:

Jodi said...

ABSOLUTELY worth reading and reflecting on....this one is a gem and I'm grateful for it. Thanks for sharing.

Moon said...

Tricia, a friend told me about your blog, i'm praying for you and your family!

Toyin O. said...

Very true, thanks for sharing.

Becky Arnold said...

Tricia, you don't know me, but Craig played a vital role in my spiritual life while I was in college. I just wanted you to know that there are six ladies in Arkansas praying for you and your boys as you walk this unimaginable new path. Our minds can't go to the place that you are living every single day, but our hearts are crying out to God on behalf of you and your boys.

Amy said...

Thank you for posting this Tricia. The day you posted it was the 8th anniversary of my mom's passing. Sorrow is an amazing thing, and even this many years later, it is still a teaching thing too. I hope that you will continue to learn and heal. I continue to pray for you on my drives to and from work, praying that the Lord will keep his arms around you and give you the comfort you need as you start back on your "normal" daily routines.

Marti said...

I found Jerry Sittser's book super helpful, especially the emphasis that grief and loss are not something you are supposed to "get over."

God's grace on you, Tricia.