Monday, January 31, 2011

Chick Fil A

"Welcome to Chick Fil A, ma'am, may I take your order?"

"Yes, I would like a #1 meal with Polynesian sauce, and two kids' meals with 4-piece nuggets and fruit."

"Will that be all for you today, ma'am?"

My husband died.

I hear this in my head, and my eyes well with tears. How can this be?

"No, that's all, thank you."

"My pleasure, ma'am."

This happens a million times a day. This newsflash in my mind: Hey, Tricia, everything around you is happening as it did six weeks ago. Except for this one thing.

How can this be.

(I didn't put a question mark. There isn't an answer I want to hear right now.)

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Wordless. Praying. Grieving. Hurting. I have absolutely no way of imagining what it must be like for you knowing you must live through this, day after cratered, incomprehensible day. Oh my precious friend.
Maren 'watered' a miniscule scratch on her arm the other day with the faucet. I water your abyss with tears, and I know our Dad does too. I wish that made a difference.

Jeni said...

Praying for you, Tricia. I can't imagine what you're going through.