Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Eat Dessert First.

Today is Grandma Carnahan's birthday. She would have been 95 today.

I am like her in many ways. Some of the most prominent things about me were hers first.

My face falls into a smile more easily than any other expression; Grams was perpetually smiling.

I will not be put in a corner, by anyone, in any way. Grams knew herself well, loved others hard and strong, but would be neither controlled nor manipulated.

I can carry a conversation with anyone at any time, even strangers; Grams once talked on the phone with a stranger -- for 45 minutes -- when they dialed her phone number on accident.

She taught me many things. To crochet, play Finch, cross stitch, prepare a meal for a friend, open my home to others, and love my family well and first.

She taught me that there are days, and they pop up more often than most people realize, when it's just best to eat dessert first.

And I'm not sure, but I would imagine they do birthdays pretty big in heaven. Or I hope they do. Maybe it's a whole separate birthday that matters. But I imagine there was some serious celebrating today.

One thing is for sure: each of her grandchildren celebrated her today. We sent pictures and texts across the country, reminding each other what we loved most about her. We sang her songs, remembered her words, and smiled all day long.

Today, I taught my boys that there are just some days, and they pop up more often than most people realize, when it's just best to eat dessert first.

Here's to you, Grams.

No comments: