Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Love Language

We were enjoying an afternoon movie matinee. Snacks in hand, sippy cups full, and Gaston chasing down the Beast in our very own living room.

Tyler sat on the floor while Tucker stood behind him, affectionately rubbing Tyler's head. Only Tyler didn't wish to be touched, thank you. He kept swatting at Tucker's hand, and Tucker would move just in time so Tyler kept smacking himself on the back of his own neck.

Repeatedly.

The scene unfolded again and again, with both boys' eyes locked on the screen. They can do it all without missing a blink.

I said, "Tuck, I think he doesn't want you to touch him. I think you should step back."

He slowly turned to me and said, very gently, "But, Mommy. I just love him."

Well, who am I to argue?

Tyler, with his eyes glued to the chase scene through the forest, called over his shoulder, "Mommy! Tucker isn't stepping back!"

"I know, Tyler. He said it's because he loves you."

And there wasn't another word. Suddenly the proximity and the head rubbing was perfectly okay.

With everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet it brought tears to my eyes!