Monday, July 20, 2009

Conversations

"Tuck, you're being silly," said my friend, L., who graciously babysat my boys so I could have a kid-free hour... and she taught them the Peanut Butter & Jelly song as well as a clever new way to jump on the couch.



"No, I'm not silly. I'm just me. I'm three, and I'm playing, and I'm just being me."



Well, thank you very much, Mr. Confidence and Eloquence.



* * *


Me: "Tucker, you're not being kind today. Where is my kind boy?"


He pointed to Tyler. "Over there."


* * *


Tyler's new power card, which he doles out whenever someone seems close to goodbye: "Oh, no, please don't leave us."


Oh, sure. That one's easy to say no to. (Guilt seems as innate to them as smashing play doh.)


* * *


Me: Tuck, do you know who gave you that toy you love?


Tuck: God did.


Well, yes, I suppose, in the sense of 'every good and perfect gift.'


* * *


(Have I mentioned lately how I once longed for these conversations? They were worth waiting for.)

No comments: