Friday, January 2, 2009

2009... here you are.

Two days in to 2009. It's time to start writing practicing how I write the number nine, since it will be the most prevalent number in my dates this year. I like printings 8's a little more than 9's, but I'll adjust.

I don't make resolutions, really. I don't buy into the whole New Year thing in general. It's my second-least favorite holiday (Halloween ranking at the very bottom of the list). I feel like it's all hype, with a lot of expectations to do something phenomenal as the clock strikes midnight and a new year arrives. In the end, it's just another night, and just another day, with a big midnight in between. It's fine with me, since I like almost everyday. I just don't embrace this one as a big deal.

Sorry if that disappoints you.

My life has held a few really great New Year's bashes - this year included, actually. Robb planned a night away with me, compliments of his hotel points. (There are some perks to a heavy travel schedule.) He packed a suitcase full of surprises, complete with our favorite games, a bottle of champagne, and even wine glasses. We camped out with our Starbucks in the hotel lobby, and we played game after game. Sometimes we kept score; sometimes we didn't. It just didn't matter. I loved it.

At midnight, we were watching the Elf marathon on TV. We looked at each other, champagne in hand, and said Happy New Year. It was a great night because it was a great date... not so much because of the holiday.

Anyway, 2009, you are here. I just finished making our New Year's calendar. There are many things I don't know about this year, some things it's probably best not to foresee, and other blessings that I cannot measure. But Lord willing, we will all have birthdays this year. At the end of the year, Tucker will unbelievably be four, Tyler will obstinantly be two, I will actually be thirty, and Robb doesn't want anyone to know how old he will be. But we will all... be.

And probably, at the end of the year, there will be some things I will miss about 2008.

Happy New Year. Live it up... like any other day. :)

No comments: