Monday, April 28, 2008

Time to Confess

It's time. I have to confess.


Things I Covet:

People in graduate school

Mom's Day Out

Sleeping In

Adult Lunch Dates

Novelists

Organization


I could think of more, but really, those are just the most pressing things that popped into my mind.... or rather, the few things that won't leave. Some of them are attainable; some of them are not.

I try not to get too caught up in it... since the reasons I do not presently have my hands on any of these wishes are sleeping soundly in their beds. And I remind myself that many, many, many people probably covet the very life I have, albeit filled with smashed Cheerios, runny noses, and midnight interruptions. And I remind myself that the same day filled with those things is also a day filled with touchy-feely board books, ooey-gooey kisses, splashes and giggles in the bathtub, and "I-Yuh-You Mommy."

There will come a time, I believe in faith, when will hold within my hands each of the items on the list above. But for now, I am operating from a different list. And I must live in these moments and the days, even when they are long and exhausting.

Note to self: This is a season to embrace, not simply one to endure.

Please remind me of that very phrase when I appear to feel otherwise.

Actually, please don't. Sometimes, in my worst moments, it just wouldn't help me gain perspective.

But peeking in on a sleeping little boy at the end of the day, or hearing him say Amen at the end of his bedtime prayer, or listening to my boys laugh at one another and knowing they don't know life without a brother, or watching my children share a toy in a moment of mutual generosity...

Now that's perspective.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everythign through him who gives me strength."

~ Philippians 4:11-13

1 comment:

my3boys said...

Interesting how on my list of things I covet is:
people who are NOT in graduate school.

While I agree that this season (mommy-ing) in both of our lives is to be embraced, grad school is something that I trudge through begrudgingly. I like learning, but I don't like deadlines, writing papers, lack of sleep, and forced time away from my family. Oh well. I'm almost done.