Monday, January 21, 2008

I love my dad.

My dad is the best.

We celebrated his 53rd birthday this weekend. (Sorry, Dad. I just told the world. But those who know you wouldn't ever believe it's true. Except that you have a 28-year-old daughter, nobody would believe you're a day past 39. For sure.)

Birthdays present a unique opportunty to celebrate the ones you love, and to think about why you love them so much. So, in case you don't know him, or just in case you do, here are some of the best things about my dad:

  • He makes the best french toast ever.

  • There's nobody more fun to rollerskate with.

  • He is a great decorator and a terrific dresser. If the term had been around back in the day, he would have been a classic Metrosexual.

  • For all of my life, my friends have consistently thought my dad was very fun and very cool. And among junior high students, those compliments are hard to find.

  • He is a great listener, and he is filled with wisdom and good advice.

  • He is always up for any form of entertainment, especially live.

  • He adores my mom.

  • He has never missed watching his children perform in a choir concert, football halftime show, piano recital, or band concert. Ever. And those weren't always terrific forms of entertainment, I have to confess.

  • His generous acts of love, protection, wisdom, and fun in my childhood have strongly and gently shaped me into the woman I am today.

  • He loves my kids. Passionately. And if all of the above were not also true, this one fact would be enough to win my heart forever.

So here's to you, Dad. Happy Birthday.

You're the best.

No comments: