Monday, October 29, 2007

I Figured It Out!

As you may have read, we have been struggling with the challenge of decoding the signs Tucker has invented.

I am happy to say: I've figured them out!

Here's what I know:
  • When he circles his pointer finger around his thumb, he wants JUICE.
  • When he opens and closes his fist under his chin (the official ASL sign for frog, but I knew that wasn't what he really wanted to say), he wants ELMO.
  • And our personal favorite: when he pats the back of his head, he wants any of the four of his GRANDPARENTS. Let me clarify: he usually wants one in particular, but the sign works for all for of them. Yep, that's right. He made up a sign for Grandma, Poppa, MaeMae, and Grandpa.
Could I just say, on a sidenote: it takes a pretty smart boy to go through this thought process: 1)Signs mean something, 2)I want to say something, but I don't know the sign, so... 3) I'll just make one up.

I feel like I should add to my resume: Sign Language Interpretor. I may not be able to communicate with the deaf, but I can figure out what my nonverbal toddler is saying, and somedays I'm not sure which would be more challenging!

No comments: